Low level Laser is a treatment modality that utilizes specific wavelengths of light (635 to 660 nm) to stimulate healing in the cells and tissues of the body. Another term to describe the effects on the body is photobiostimulation. An analogy of its effect on the cells of the body would be to imagine your cells as an idling motor, and the effect of specific light stimulation is like pushing down on the gas peddle, revving up the RPM's in the motor to produce more power. It was initially used in Europe about thirty years ago and has been utilized in America for just the last few years. Weber Chiropractic Office, SC has been using laser units for over five years. Dr. Weber has four different units, each providing a different type of stimulation for different conditions.
The Physiological Repair Effects of Low Level Laser Therapy:
- Reduces pain by causing the production of endorphins – our body's natural pain killers
- Reduces inflammation by suppressing inflammatory enzymes and enhancing the release of anti-inflammatory enzymes
- Enhances lymphatic drainage thereby increasing circulation and spreading healing
- Stimulates the release of healing enzymes
- Releases tight muscles that contribute to chronic pain, joint problems and decreased mobility
- Speeds bone repair by stimulating fibroblastic and osteoblastic proliferation – the cells needed to heal soft tissue (muscles, skin, ligaments, tendons) and bones
- Re-energizes and re-establishes normal energy patterns over scar tissue which is responsible for many chronic health conditions
- In specific frequencies, can be antiviral, antifungal and antiherpetic
There are endless conditions that respond extremely well to Low Level Laser Therapy including strains, sprains, inflamed muscles and tendons (tendonitis), tight muscles including scar tissue, nerve inflammation due to disc herniation, pain anywhere in the back and even arthritis in any joint of the body. The effect seen is a much quicker decrease in the inflammation of the area, much faster than anything else I have ever used in over 30 years of practice.
We also use Low Level Laser Therapy for stimulation of acupuncture points instead of using needles. One great example is using laser to stimulate the acupuncture points in the ear for the neck and forehead when someone comes in with a headache, providing quick relief. The chiropractic assistants at our office use it to quickly heal paper cuts on fingers, and burns are dramatically healed almost in 24 hours!
In general, Low Level Laser Therapy provokes completely new structure and sensitivity in the living tissue of an organism to which light is applied, resulting in regenerative, anti-inflammatory and analgesic (pain reducing) effects and rapid healing.